Wednesday, January 30, 2008

LUXURY.......ARE WE GEARED UP TO SEE OURSELVES FOR REAL......WE PAY FOR TIME AND EFFORT...

Hi I am back again!!!! This time with a question that I am addressing to all you people in that big void………..

Is it true that in this age that things we do have become redundant with the numerous machines and gadgets that perform for us with a six sigma accuracy…………3.4 defects per million I am told……..incredibly accurate……….

I’m told Swiss watches are famous for their millionth of a second’s accuracy. All want perfection and yet in such a space I see big examples of how people still cherish things made by loving care and craftsmanship….even though they don’t typify a impossible level of accuracy.which brings me to an ongoing debate.why is it that if we desire perfection and accuracy so much that we are ready to pay the earth for things that are hand made.
Why people are ready to buy Art at exorbitant and insane prices? Well maybe either because the artist is either dead……..or maybe because he couldn’t make the same picture with six sigma perfection….
Why are we ready to pay more for handmade paper when the paper mills paper is better in quality and fineness? We find pleasure in that semi rough surface….and appreciate the beauty and not the unevenness. I often wonder if we are celebrating human ingenuity or are we celebrating human folly and inadequacies.
Why on earth will we pay the earth for Venetian glass jewellery when we get Gold in the same bracket? Or why we will be ready to pay just a “little extra “($1500) for a special fragrance that’s “just so me”, when the others go around the place being just regular Joe’s.
I finally come to the final conclusion luxury is all about craftsmanship, without compromise. Karl Marx once wrote that luxury is not in the thing itself, but in the amount of time and effort that went into making it.Thats what we pay for. What an insight!

TIME, probably the most precious commodity one can have and seldom has.
I guess I would pay just a “little extra” ($1500) for that perfume “that’s so me” rather than try go and make my own fragrance for I have neither the time, nor inclination of going and learning the delicate job of a perfumer.

I feel three things define perfect luxury.
One – it acts upon the body, giving sensual pleasure but offering the intellectual dimension of really good design; both come together to make you both happy and satisfied.

Two- it lays claim to authenticity by virtue of either traditional practice or a connection with the land………..wow! I just love French perfumes…….they are so …CHIC!

Three- it requires skilled people to work very hard to produce it and to responsibility of every part of your experience of it-every touch, bite or sip.
Ummmm! I just love Godiva chocolates. Perfectly sinful!!!

What could be better and more human? And aren’t we all craving that personal touch….gets me back to the eternal cause of every human action …NEED.

No comments: