Friday, March 9, 2007

A VALEDICTION

Today I got news of my uncle Des taking suddenly ill…
A man who has always been on the go, who has instilled a zest for living and loving in all around him.
A man worth his weight in gold, a man of integrity and character with penetrating mesmerizing eyes so characteristic to Scorpios…that look deep into your soul and plumb their depths………..the one man till date who has really understood and read me like plate glass…
A man who thought I am extremely precious…. to him and to HIM…
MY GODFATHER, MY MENTOR AND MY FRIEND.
THE MAN WHO HELD ME IN HIS ARMS WHEN I WAS A BABE AND LENT A SHOULDER THROUGH THE PERIOD OF MY TEEN ACHES …WHEN MY SOUL WAS IN TURMOIL AND NEEDED SOME COMFORT…………
Today when he lies sick on a hospital bed I wonder at the mortality of us humans….
This transient state of being human…
Should we grab at all that we can get because we don’t know what tomorrow holds for us?
Or toil selflessly, living for others in the hope of achieving Nirvana or Elysium?
What’s the objective of our life?
If you sift through what the WISE have said till now -----all one sees is the idealistic concepts of a life after this one…. but no one has actually confirmed it…some may say my faith is in the doldrums and reflective of the turmoil within…. but the fact is I’m not questioning the so called ideals of society and religion…
These doubts are just a natural extension of my inquisitive and logical being…………
People say that one cant reason out faith. History bears witness to the ongoing conflict between science and religion where sometimes one is the victor and at other times the other…
Let us not digress into the obscure realms of the religo-scientific conflict….
But examine the more pressing and important problem of evaluation of our existence……….even while im penning these words im aware that somewhere right now my uncle is struggling for that ounce of precious air. I am not dispassionate about death……….
But have a heavy conscience too about why I love him so much???
Is it because I love him dearly or what he represents in my life???
Am I selfish???
When someone dear and near to us falls sick or dies. …………Tears instantly pour down our faces…………..
But more often than not they are for the imminent loss. …Or because we cannot envisage life without that person……………our souls cry out in outrage at the injustice of God and our helplessness.
Life was never so barren…………
IVE JUST RECEIVED NEWS –MY UNCLE HAS PASSED AWAY
A tiny fragment of my soul dies with him today…and as he passes from this world to the other …………….I pray for his soul not my agony…because I believe God has a message and motive in every pain he inflicts on us……….and I gladly and willingly accept HIS will.
And when it will rain I’ll always feel his love falling on me, or his touch in the mist that shrouds me in winter, or the warmth of his love in the sunshine………….

No comments: